26.7.11

Humility

Sometimes it just hits you out of the blue that you dont know what you have until it’s almost out of your grasp.
I started recollecting my fond memories of my grandma as soon as I found out that she had to check into hospital. Her HB went down way below normal, but luckily we caught it on time so she could get the treatment that she needed.
I wouldn’t say we have the best grandma-grand daughter relationship but there were definitely moments that I would always remember. And some of them were like living pictures in my mind.
It was May 1998, the darkest days in my country’s history. Almost all my family members gathered in Singapore as we were ones of those who were fortunate enough to escape unscathed from the riot. Around 20 people squeezed into this 3 bedroom apartment. My grandma was one of them. One night after dinner, we all sat down in circle in the living room. I didn’t know how the conversation started but I remember my grandma told us to take the positive thing out of what had just happened. That we should always be grateful of what have been given to us. The fact that we could all gather together in that living room was a blessing that not many people could have at that moment. This was also to remind us to always be humble regardless of what we have achieved. “Keep both of your feet on the ground and always remember where you came from.” Those were the words that until today still feel like she just whispered them on my ear. I was awed by the strength of a woman who at the time of crisis showed us that humility should be embraced and that we should have never taken things for granted.
And yes the thought of almost losing my grandma teach me to be humble and to remember my roots. We all live in this hectic crazy world that sometimes we forget what is important. I was humbled by the fact that what she has given me, I realize I havent given back much to her. And definitely humbled that I am still given the chance to at least give back a lil bit more... Thank you

No comments: